Bicyclists are far more likely to be killed in Florida than any other state, and South Florida dominates the rankings of most dangerous cities for cyclists, according to the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration.
Here are a few tips to remember if you or someone you know suffers an injury while operating a bicycle.
- Are You Okay? Immediately check to see if you are bleeding or suffering from a serious or life-threatening injury. If necessary, do not delay in calling an ambulance or requesting medical attention.
- Call Law Enforcement: Anytime you are involved in any type of accident, notifying law enforcement is a critical step to document the parties involved, secure important information, and obtain an accident report. Law enforcement agencies can vary depending on your location – do not forget about fish and wildlife game wardens or local park services.
- Does Anyone Need Help? Check your surroundings. Do your best to provide assistance.
- Collect Information: Evaluate the scene and try to obtain as much information as possible. This should include the names, addresses, phone numbers, licenses, photo IDs, and insurance information for every party. Additional information includes: license plate numbers, makes/models of vehicles, and the names of any witnesses or passersby. Make sure to write down this information or take photos.
- Document the Scene: If possible, take photos of the accident scene before the bicycle or vehicle are moved. Before the scene is cleared, make sure to photograph the damage done to any vehicles as well as to the bicycle. Do not forget to keep the bicycle, helmet, riding gear, and any safety equipment in its post-accident condition until it can be examined and/or documented.
- See a Doctor: Many injuries might not present themselves immediately post-accident. Make an appointment with a doctor, urgent care or walk-in clinic as soon as possible. If a vehicle was involved in the accident, Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage requires a medical examination within 14 days.
If you have suffered an injury due to the negligence of others while operating a bicycle, it is important to seek an experienced lawyer who will advocate on your behalf. The Jackson Firm LLC is here to help – contact our office today.